Thursday, August 5, 2010

It Happened - just like I knew it would

My oldest is entering middle school tomorrow. I knew that would happen, too, but that's not what I'm writing about.

I don't know if it's entering a new school, being in a new town, new state or if it's just his age, but he has reached that time in your life when you start to care if other people care...know what I mean?

This became very obvious to me while shopping for school shoes today. Do you know that most NIKE shoes start at around $60.00 and that's for boys who are around 12! What.On.Earth? Of course, these weren't even the shoes he wanted, how about the $105.00 pair!

Him, "these look cool, mom"
Me, "they should, they are $105.00"

Seriously! Can you believe it. I shouldn't need to say this, but I will, we didn't get those.

We finally compromised on a pair, that still cost to much, but the cost to both our hearts was much higher. Now I travel down the road of teaching him about self confidence and self worth and freedom in Jesus.

Difficult, because, don't I still fall into this trap? I need the newest handbag or the nicest home furnishing? Hopefully, we can both learn something over the next few years about contentment, compromise and hard work.

Maybe it's time to start an allowance. That way, he can save and put money toward those things that are out of our price range. What about you guys? What do you do in this kind of situation?

2 comments:

  1. ya know... we have some of that here... but nothing like what y'all face in the world of the west.

    one of many reasons why i'm so thankful my kids are growing up mks.

    however, when our kids want something (like when rebekah wanted her ears double pierced), we ask the simple question, "why?" if the initial, immediate response is a reason that we feel is biblically solid, we'll do all we can to make it happen. if not, then we begin to explore with the child why those aren't good reasons/motivations.

    hope that makes sense.

    praying for you today, and your boy, specifically!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it Real

Beginning again and again and again It feels like that is all I do. Matt traveled from Wednesday - Friday this week.  I did not do well ...